Advanced Search 

Home - introductions to the site
Search - a searchable database of letters/essays/etc.
Genealogy - short biographical information of each family member
Photographs - various images pertaining to the McQuesten family
Thesis - essays on the McQuestens and lifewriting by Mary Anderson
Timelines - a chronological list of events in the McQuesten family and corresponding historical events

Search Results

W6669 TO REV. CALVIN MCQUESTEN from his mother, Mary Baker McQuesten
Mar 24 1910 Thursday [approximate date]
To: Calvin McQuesten Knox College Toronto Ontario
From: 'Whitehern'

Dearest Calvin,

Tom has just started off for Gravenhurst with various eatables from home and flowers from Mr. Chisholm. He intends coming back Saturday night, will take the 11 o'clock G.T.R. from Toronto, think the train gets into Toronto from Gravenhurst about 8 o'clock in the evening. We have just been as busy as possible getting the house cleaned somewhat, as our visitors Nellie James and Mai Mathewson arrive for tea. I have not forgotten you these examination days and trust you have got on satisfactorily. We are having quite warm weather, to-day it is too warm to sit out doors, such a hot wind.

You will see by R.'s letter the terrible accident to poor little Jack Young, no iron beds for me. I like the wooden ones better any way and I hope our poor old gas Co. will not get too discouraged to live. I thought perhaps you could mange to call and leave your card on Sunday, you might have time after church, Miss Leash's hospital used to be on Wellesley St, a couple of doors from where the James lived that first winter1.

I am glad to say that I managed to get $62.50 for Mrs. Goforth, and her letter of thanks told it was a great help. Perhaps I never told you, that Mrs. James spoke to me of being sure the Goforths had very limited means and she needed to go to the dentist etc. so when I came home I just spoke to some of our ladies in several of the auxiliaries.

You would be sorry to hear of poor Mr. Dickson's death, paralysis has been coming on for some time now, Mrs. Mullin told me, and when she was at St. Margaret's beginning of February he had had one or two strokes and though he could only shuffle his feet when walking he never admitted to being ill, but was unconscious five days before he died. I always felt he was a friend. Another letter for me to write. If you hadn't time to write Mrs. Dickson, I know you always wish to do these things, just write "with kind sympathy" on one of your cards and leave it at the door, there would be no harm doing it Sunday I only suggest this as a relief to your mind. Well, Cal dear I trust & know you will be helped through these trying days. It looks as if ice would be gone out of the way before the 6th. With love from all and much from your loving mother.

M.B. McQuesten

1 Ruby wrote that "little John [sic Young" had been nearly electrocuted during a storm while sleeping in an iron bed. He was badly burned and was taken to Mrs. Leash's Hospital in Toronto for treatment for severe burns to the top of his head and to one hand (W6665, March 21, 1910)

Home | Search | Thesis | Family | Timelines
Photographs | Whitehern | Sitemap | Credits

Copyright 2002 Whitehern Historic House and Garden
The development of this website was directed by Mary Anderson, Ph.D. and Janelle Baldwin, M.A.
Please direct questions and comments to Mary Anderson, Ph.D.

Hamilton Public Library This site was created in partnership with and is hosted by the Hamilton Public Library. Canada's Digital Collections This digital collection was produced with financial assistance from Canada's Digital Collections initiative, Industry Canada.